Saturday 9 May 2009

All those years ago...

My darling wife found this picture while unpacking after our move - and it has been on the dresser waiting to be scanned in since...


It was summer 1992 and I was still a Junior. I was completely nowhere and none the wiser. I dreamt of winning mountain top stages on a Bianchi crafted from Columbus SLX tubing. And Paulina Porizkova.

The race was the Milky Lane from Durban to Scottburgh - 60km and with a tail wind. As usual, my Dad was there to lend support and help with all the logistics. It was practically sprint race, especially with the usual tail wind. On this day, I'd done something terribly daft like leave my helmet or gloves at home. I can't remember how this got sorted, but my Dad probably went home to fetch them (after kakking me out) - I am eternally grateful.

The race was perfect, I felt brilliant. Ryan and I were both quick that day, sticking close to the front of the bunch. At the mid distance hotspot (was it 'Toti?), I tried to contest the sprint, but inexperience had me forced into the gutter.

Towards the end of the race, about 2 or 3 km out, one of the fast riders attacked, I managed to hop onto the break for what was one of the most thrilling finishes I've had.

As we came up the final hill, the group began to splinter. I've always been good at sharp climbs, and so I started picking off riders on the run in. I saw my Dad looking down the road, trying to find the best vantage point for a run in photo. By the time he'd realised I was in amongst the leading riders it was too late - the lens cap was still on.

The result was great, 9th overall, and if I recall correctly, 2nd Junior. Total race time? About 1 hour 10. Absolutely brilliant. What a day!

3 comments:

Mik Harewam said...

Excellent. I remember that pic. You haven't changed very much, except for your hair being shorter now and you don't have that great tan now that you're in the UK. haha. Do you remember how funny your cycling tan was?
:)

Mik Harewam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David Fong said...

It was a rather ridiculous tan, wasn't it!