Wednesday 27 January 2010

A lot of speed

The last few days have been pretty busy. Sunday was London League cyclocross at Wilmington in Kent, and then Tuesday I ran in our company running club month-end race.

The cross race was mad as usual. It wasn't too wet, but the mud was very slick and traction was very poor; with even moderate inclines being unrideable. There was also a very tricky section through the woods that was very narrow and felt more like what I'd expect of an MTB course rather than Cross.

The race itself was hard. On the first lap I was trying to think of how I could bail out but still retain my dignity. Realising that was impossible, I then started wondering how I was going to survive the next hour. And it seemed to take forever. The dismounting, running and remounting took their toll, as did the very frustrating slippy near running-on-the-spot sections up the hills. I had a few silly falls too, the "best" being riding straight into a tree on the last lap at near walking pace (I blame fatigue).

As usual, afterward it felt great. I had a fun ding-dong with a club mate, Kevin Ball and also managed to keep a few riders that I recognised from previous races at bay. I'm really enjoying this cyclocross lark - it is just such a pity that the season is so short.

Then to running; my new commute means that it simply is not fiscally possible for me to take the train (and so include a ride in my commute), so I've returned to running to try to keep fast and in shape. My first run was last week, and frankly I battled and was broken afterward. I really wasn't expecting much for the lunch time race.

The organiser, Zoe, stuck me into the fastest group despite my protestations. I really thought she was having a laugh and roundly expected to be the slowest of the group and jog into the finish dead last (it is run on a handicap, so the slowest runners would be well down the road before the fast group starts).

So after lots of waiting we set off. I start gingerly (for the first 20m or so), then realise I feel pretty good, so ratchet up the pace. Probably a bit too quickly because up the long hill to the park I'm starting to feel it. Into the park I'm staying with the leading group (bar one) of fast runners, but hurting already - only about 1.5km in! Then I notice my shoe lace is loose. PREPARATION! I have to stop to tie it up and so immediately loose touch with the group.

I try to close the gap after that but they pull away steadily. I keep up a good pace but am really hurting. I wind up the pace on the way in, purely out of pride and not wanting to be overtaken; I manage to be passed only by the fastest runner (Ian Mc' for those who've followed this blog for a while) who gave himself a further, self imposed handicap of a few minutes! My time is a smidge over 25 mins. Not too bad, but I do have quite a bit of work to do.

I was broken totally by the run, and had to drag myself to the local Tesco to grab a For Goodness Shakes (my new favourite). It helped a bit but honestly I was too stuffed to be useful to anyone.

A day later I am still sore. My legs from the run, but my shoulders and core still have traces of tightness from the Cross race. All good stuff. And to be repeated this weekend with another Cross race at Herne Hill.

Rock on!

No comments: