Wednesday 13 January 2010

Chapeau Madam!

So, I'm blasting back home from work along Victoria Embankment. Whizzing past the usual train of commuters (not everyone thinks it's a race I guess...) I notice a flashing red light ahead that is making short work of the bike traffic (not to mention the car traffic, but that goes without saying). I'm hardly making up any ground, so I dig a bit deeper and start giving chase.

A few hundred metres passes, and I'm not making as much of a dent in the gap as I would for a typical "quick commuter" - clearly this guys is giving it some beans, so if I'm to catch up before Parliament Square, I'd better light them burners.

And so I do, we're now on the stretch to Big Ben and I'm getting close. We both dispatch a guy on a carbon superbike, but I have bigger fish to fry. Or should I say smaller. This rider is diminutive! And it is a her. Her legs are pumping relentlessly and her speed isn't letting up.

I keep the taps open and pass - eventually. As I pass, she looks back. Now, I know people in good shape who take good care of themselves can easily look 10 years younger than they really are - this lady looks to be in her mid-fifties, your guess is as good as mine. I was amazed.

I hope that I'm still riding that quickly on the commute when I'm in my fifties!

No comments: