Saturday 20 December 2008

No longer pointless

I had a good race today. It was the 3rd race of the Imperial series. The sun was shining (sort of), and the wind was strong but steady.

I'd spent the night before getting the bike 100% for the race, so it was shining and whirring along perfectly as I turned onto the track for the warm up. I felt good, helped no doubt by time on the exercise bike at the Dartfod Hilton, but it was colder than I'd thought so I had to switch to full gloves from the mitts I thought would be OK.

The race started fairly slowly, and I found myself close to the front wanting to drive the pace a bit, but knowing I didn't have the legs for anything too crazy. Next thing I know I'm off the front with the group a good 20m back. I was tempted to sit up and wait for them, but then I thought the better of it and put my head down. I decided that I'd stay out for at least a lap, which I managed, but it was futile, there was no way I was going to ride out solo until the end. Gasping for air, and with my heart rate on the red line, I was relieved to be caught and settled back into the cover of the group.

After about 15 mins, by knee started playing up again. It was hurting quite a bit, and I considered packing it in, but decided to see how it got on. It must have eased a bit, because I noticed it less and less so it wasn't an issue for the rest of the race.

The race was fairly uneventful and soon enough the 5 lap board went up, and the pace went all stupid - mostly it was absolutely mad turning on the finish straight uphill, but almost ground to a halt into the wind on the back straight, no-one being willing to work. This played right into my hands, allowing me to pick my position - the pattern continued with four, three and then 2 laps to go. I positioned myself in the perfect spot to attack, so on the last lap I was chasing right into the thick of it - and I was able to use my momentum to get a jump on the group for the sprint.

I started the sprint in 3rd, but sadly daft gear choice and legs that simply weren't up to it saw me fluffing the sprint badly and a few riders managed to scoot through.

After the race I hunted down the official and found that I was recorded 10th. Ok, it is the last points paying position, but still in the points.

So I've opened my 2009 BC account and now plan to make many more deposits. Bring it on!

No comments: