Monday 15 December 2008

Imperial #2

Stinking weather keeps away crowds. It made a change from the first race and what was apparently a record for a Cat 4 event at Hillingdon. The wind was howling from the South East, the rain was unrelenting and it was bloody cold.

I arrived early to sign-in and fortunately had a lot of time to settle myself and warm up. That said, given the stinky weather, I sat in the car as long as possible before braving the track for a recce and "warm-up".

Despite the weather, the track was clean, with little debris or mud and it felt good to get out and turn my legs. I chatted to a few of my fellow competitors during warm-up - all in all it was quite amiable. The group on the start line was small, which had me thinking that we'd be in for a hard race. With the wind beating us up on the straight, and with a small field, it was a great opportunity for a small breakaway group to take advantage and ride away from the main group.

And so it happened, the pace was really hard, with attack after attack. I found myself battling to keep in the group and once I had to work really hard to get myself back in as the wheel I was on splintered off the back. Then a few more vicious accelerations, the main group was split and was trying to make up ground. My legs just weren't up for it and started to cramp. I tried to massage it out but it wouldn't go away, so I decided to just ride on.

I fought hard to get back in, getting fairly close to the group, but I couldn't make it stick and soon found myself in that awful zone just off the slipsteam without enough juice to get back in. Onto the back straight I fell back and wanted to just make it stop. I tried massaging my calves again, but again with no benefit. I approached the "pit entry" but decided to stick it out and hang on. You never now what may happen and with a willing partner or two, getting back in the race wasn't too far fetched. So I kept pushing.

Another rider ahead had been dropped, and so I started chasing to try to get onto his wheel - and it seemed to be going well until my legs said "no" in a big cramping fit. "Argh!" But it was after 35 mins, into the last 5 laps and I was going to stick at it.

The low was being lapped, two laps from the finish. I thought that at that stage I was out, but after stopping I was told by an official that I did not have to stop, so I got back out. By this stage my legs were screaming, and even the gentle acceleration out of the "pits" triggered bolts of cramps.

The finish was thoroughly anticlimactic, but it was brilliant. I had not only broken my Hillingdon block, but also won a battle against myself. The experience was invaluable and it will help me next time. I can't wait for the weekend!

No comments: