Wednesday 30 January 2008

On the bike

It's been a while since I've had a chance to get some good saddle time; what with all the running and being otherwise lazy. So today I had to head off to the DVLA in Wimbledon to apply to swap my SA drivers license for a UK one.

I opted to ride from Paddington to Wimbledon rather than use public transport because a) I love riding, especially in mad London and b) it would probably be quicker anyway.

Getting out of the inner city was just mad as usual, rows of stationary cars and the odd blind, wafting pedestrian. Approaching Putney it cleared out a lot and I was able to get into a nice rhythm - good given that the hill out of Putney is quite significant. With only one wrong turn (am I glad I popped back home on the way to fetch my A-to-Z!) to soon found myself flying down into Wimbledon.

The ride back was fun too, but the lack of miles in my legs was telling. The drag out of Wimbledon was easy, but I found it a bit of a struggle keeping pace into town; so much so that I managed to get a bit lost - once again, thank goodness for the A-to-Z!

All in all it was fun to be back in the saddle again other than just the monotonous commute. I'm quick but need some work - which is just fine. I'm still glad for the break from cycling I've had with some running, but as the days get longer a few more countryside loops beckon.

But back to today, or at least tomorrow - looking forward to the first Galileo of 2008 tomorrow - it should be a nice warm up for Ciren' this weekend!

:-)

No comments: