Friday 26 October 2007

Gallileo Win! :-)


Friday, and massively tired and relieved. It was a hard, challenging week at work - enjoyed it. It was also a brilliant week for SPEED. On Thursday I ran the October edition of the company race called the Gallieo; about 6km on roads and through a lovely wooded park.

It was chilly and looked "threatening" to drizzle - though it stayed dry. A conference call just before meant I had little time for getting changed and my warmup on the treadmill was cut shorter than I'd have liked, but I'd still got my heart-rate up and was ready for action.

The race started on a gentle uphill which we took at an easy pace which was nice for easing into it. I quickly noticed that me and this other guy had managed to drop the field on the uphill and were now steadily heading along at a nice easy pace along the gentle asphalt pathways of a park. Given that I didn't know the route, I had to just follow the other guy along; a good excuse for just pacing with him.

The course was lovely, passing fields scattered with lazy cows, coursing through a park with joggers, lunchtime walkers and dog walkers, under trees and over bridges. It all went by quickly and soon I was back on a familiar path, so the last 1/2km. I upped the pace a little but still being unsure of the route, continued to follow my partner.

As soon as I was sure of where I was I opened the taps. Even surprised myself with my acceleration. But I wasn't about to indulge in any half measures. I wanted the win.

I crossed the line with about 10s over my opponent, it was a really nice run. Best of all, despite my last run having been in Durban over a week ago, I felt really strong and fast. The XC season starts first week of November, so I really need to get off my arse and sort out my club membership. I can't wait!

No comments: