Sunday 7 October 2007

The bike has arrived!


After the months of plotting and then the relatively short but tortuous wait, the big box of bits finally arrived from Ribble! I'd already acquired a few bits from other shops - the Dura-Ace wheels from Evans (the saga continues) and Ultegra chainset from Wiggle (long story involving indecision) - so the anticipation was even greater!

Unfortunately three things have thwarted what should have been a weekend of building and finally riding this bike, the details of which have kept me occupied and perplexed for the past few months: I ordered the wrong handlebar, the saddle I wanted was out of stock, and I'm off to a conference in South Africa today! The trip to SA will be great as it'll be the first time I'll see my Dad since him being in hospital after his heart attack earlier this year. And hopefully Ribble being out of stock of the saddle means I'll get the slightly revised and better looking '08 version. Patience, they tell me, is a virtue, and it gives me another thing to look forward to when I get back.

I am really looking forward to coming back not only building my bike, but also starting to get some training done for the XC season. I've been working on my flexibility and I'm already seeing big improvements, and I hope that XC will help me even more with getting myself nice and lithe. It should also be a nice change of scenery which I am looking forward to. I'm also hoping it will get me into the right sort of competition frame of mind ready to hit the bike racing season running, erm ...

So, my running shoes are packed, so I'll be able to get some training in despite being off my commute bike for what will be a week and a half. I'm also planning to scrounge around the garage, so you never know, I may just come back with a frame which will form the basis of a fixie? To work on my pedal action, you know ;-).

No comments: