Friday 24 July 2009

Disappointment at The Hill

Image (c) Sport in Pictures/Gary Bowden

I arrived at Hog Hill on last night to clear skies in the distance, but a large grey mass overhead. The wind was fairly strong and I hoped it would blow the angry skies away.

As I walked up to sign-on, I noticed that the circuit direction sign was reversed - we would be racing the "wrong way", and this would also include the in-field at the top of the circuit. This put me off; I'd spent a lot of time thinking of how I wanted the race to play out only to discover I would racing on a completely different circuit!

After signing-on, I got on with my routine; pinned my number and got my kit ready. Halfway through getting the bike out, the heavens opened. Already being "past the point of no return", I hurriedly got the bike "assembled", and then clambered back into the shelter of the car to get dressed and wait out the rain.

Soon enough the shower was past, but it was heavy and it left a good deal of water on the ground. I sorted the bike properly (I had done a bit of a hash in my rush), pumped up the tyres and headed up to loosen up a bit. The circuit was very wet, and in places where mud had washed onto the circuit, very slippery too. I very nearly came off on my recce on a wash, which made me all the more nervous.

The skies seemed to be clearing and I was feeling good as we lined up for the start. My club was well represented, and it felt good to be one of the Dulwich crew. As we rolled off the line, it all started to feel really good. My club-mates were keen on driving the pace and I was feeling pretty racey.

There were a few accelerations up the hill, and at first these were OK, but eventually one hard run up the hill following an attack by a Southend Wheelers rider had me red-lined which it took me half a lap to recover from, which was a positive as I have been recovering quicker than before.

I'd dropped to near the rear of the pack, and so once my heart rate was back in the useful range, I worked my way forward again. I'd got a nice run up the hill and surprisingly found myself riding right to the front of the group. A group of four or five had just broken away, so accelerating over the crest, I found myself slightly ahead of the main group. My team-mates were right behind me, so time to do my bit and put the hammer down a little; or at least as much as I dared on the slippery track.

The run up the hill was good, but going down the other side I felt my rear wheel make a big step sideways. I was regretting not having reduced my tyre pressures and I was really struggling for grip. I chose my line carefully through the following corners and caressed the bike as gently as I could. It still felt precarious, but I managed to maintain momentum before letting someone else finish off the chase.

I was close to the red, but it was the climb that nudged me a bit too far, and I fell back through the group like a lead weight. I became detached from the rear of the group, but given how quickly I'd come back previously, I wasn't too worried. And it was much the same, I quickly got my breath back and was visibly closing the gap and getting back in touch with the group. The race was now about 40 minutes in; all I needed to do was get back in touch, have a bit of a rest until and then get back up for the closing laps. Not ideal, but doable.

But then the heavens opened. A monsoon-like deluge came down. In itself it was fine, I don't mind the rain too much, but worse was that the cold water on my legs chilled them and triggered a cramp. I rode with it for a lap and a bit, but soon realised it was pointless and pulled out.

I don't understand this cramping that I've had. Both times it has been my right calf, and only at the last two races at Hog Hill. Oddly I haven't had it racing anywhere else; not even Palace which is much harder than The Hill. I suspect my susceptibility may have something to do with race day nutrition; the work canteen is not the best and perhaps it is best to take my own lunch on race days. I certainly will give that a bash.

So, overall a big disappointment. My form isn't where I'd like it to be, but I know I had it in me to do a lot better. Still, I learned a few more lessons. I learned more about my limits and I learned that I really should drop my tyre pressures when it is soaking.

1 comment:

Natasha Staples said...

But what you learnt is all worth its weight in pasta...every time you race, you are a better rider. I'm very proud of you. But we need to find that recovery drink, and re-stock the arnica oil. Its only a brave man that submits to my massages!